Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A Flaky, Buttery Wednesday Hodgepodge

From this Side of the Pond
1. Speaking of endings....at your wit's end, at loose ends, a dead end, burn the candle at both ends, all's well that end's well, or no end in sight...which 'end' phrase might best be applied to your life lately? Explain.  

Well, no, not at loose ends: there's lots to do, including a class report due at the end of the week. But I am not at wit's end about it. Lydia is more the one burning candles here, since she is juggling high school (and its extra-curriculars) plus a part-time job.

2. What was a must have accessory when you were growing up? Did you own one? If so tell us what you remember about it.

"How about a pair of pink sidewinders

And a bright orange pair of pants?"

Is a Sony Walkman considered an accessory?


I did have a pair of '80's legwarmers around that time too.

3. Something that made you smile yesterday?


A giant art book about the Group of Seven, that came into the thrift store. I didn't buy it myself, but I hope somebody will enjoy it.

4. January 30th is National Croissant Day. Do you like croissants? Sweet or savory? We're having chicken salad for lunch...would you rather have yours served on a croissant, a wrap, a bagel, bread, or a roll of some sort?


I will eat croissants any way you want to serve them. They're best eaten absolutely fresh from some little bakery in Quebec; but I'm no croissant snob, I'll buy them on clearance at Walmart too.

5. Sum up your January in fifteen words or less.


Much time online but not for blogging: I'm doing my homework. Plus there's snow.

6.  Insert your own random thought here.


One thing leads to another: we were watching the detective series The Pinkertons, and that reminded me of an old mystery book my grandma had, Miss Pinkerton by Mary Roberts Rinehart. I downloaded that from Open Library and re-read it between other things. Then I wondered if it had ever been filmed, and it turns out yes, there is a 1932 movie with Joan Blondell and George Brent. You-tube has only a trailer (and it's pretty bad), but we found the whole movie for $3.99 on Google Play. We're not much in the habit of paying to watch movies, but decided to go for it anyway. It would cost me almost that much to bus to the library and pick up a free DVD.

So we had our evening of black and white whodunit, with snow falling outside and discount store chocolate chip muffins in the kitchen. (Could have been croissants, but I had already bought muffins.) And that's the way we do things in this brave new world.

Linked from The Wednesday Hodgepodge at From This Side of the Pond.

1 comment:

Nicole Pyles said...

Ah I love walkmans! I was snooping around online to see if I can buy one cause I have so many tapes left over from childhood. Alas, they are so expensive now!